This article on forklift truck is written to help you out in getting answers to these three questions. Learning from mistakes is the key to life and hence one can always become wise from other peoples mistakes. Read the whole article to understand the basics and then the try your own ways. Always keep a positive approach and that will help you gain confidence.
Top Tips When Hiring a Forklift Truck
Author: Charlotte Mclean
Since the 1930s a vast number of commodities have been moved by some type of mechanical handler. From pedestrian operated trucks to those offering a fully enclosed all weather cab, there is a machine suitable for all the many different types of industries that rely on the use of forklift trucks to facilitate their business needs in the modern day.
So how should one go about hiring a forklift truck, what considerations must be taken into account? A forklift truck hire contract may be anywhere between 1 and 7 years so it’s important you choose the right company who can provide you with the best machine and service. Here are some of the key points to consider:
1. Ensure you choose a machine suitable for your application – a reputable and knowledgeable forklift truck provider should be able to advise you on this but you should provide details such.
- Load to be lifted
- How high you need to lift such a load
- Fuel type e.g. diesel, gas, electric. The latter may depend on the environment you are using the vehicle in.
2. Maintenance and Breakdown cover – ensure that your contract includes full maintenance and servicing of your machine, as well as breakdown cover, as loss of use of your forklift truck could be significantly costly to your business. Look out for those companies that provide a replacement machine after 24hr downtime to ensure peace of mind.
3. Ensure that the service cover provided on your forklift truck covers the shift pattern the machine will be used on.
4. Ensure that the forklift truck you are hiring has a current “certificate of thorough examination” or conforms to LOLER (lifting operations and lifting equipment regulations)
5. Be aware of normal exclusions to a hire contract include:
- Operator damage or misuse
- Fork wear
- Tyres / punctures
- Consumables, including: oil; fuel; bulbs; filters; grease etc
Additionally you should ensure that your forklift truck provider is;
- Complies with H&SE requirements
- Able to provide you with the service you expect in terms of personnel and support
- Financially sound
- Has an acceptable location – many companies can provide a UK wide service. However using a Google local search for forklift truck hire in ‘your area’ will provide you with those companies most likely to provide you with a full level of service for your company needs.
Finally ensure that the intended operator of the forklift truck you hire is adequately trained and licensed to drive and operate the vehicle. Some forklift truck companies offer driver training, alternatively you can check out the Fork Lift Truck Association for more details.
About the Author
Charlotte Mclean works at Manton Hire & Sales Ltd, a well established materials handling business, providing forklift truck hire, sales and service throughout the UK. If you would like more information on forklift truck hire or sales, please visit www.mantonhire.com